Hello there, fellow green thumbs and lawn enthusiasts! If you’re reading this, you probably know the importance of a healthy, lush lawn and the essential role a well-functioning sprinkler system plays in achieving it.
Old and outdated sprinkler systems can be riddled with all kinds of issues. Many may have leaks which cause lack of pressure and high water bills. Over time, even the best systems may encounter hiccups, leading to the ultimate question: Should you repair the existing system or replace it altogether?
Today, we’ll explore the ins and outs of this decision, guiding you through the process of determining the best course of action for your lawn. So, let’s get started!
- Assessing the Current System: Before jumping to any conclusions, let’s take a closer look at your existing sprinkler system. Are there constant leaks or broken sprinkler heads? Does it struggle to provide uniform coverage, leaving dry patches behind? If you find yourself spending more time fixing issues than enjoying your lawn, it might be time for an upgrade.
- Age and Maintenance: Consider the age of your sprinkler system and how well it has been maintained over the years. If your system is over a decade old and hasn’t received regular care, it may be showing signs of wear and tear that repairs alone cannot fix. A well-maintained system, on the other hand, might only require minor repairs to keep it running smoothly.
- Water Efficiency: In an era of water conservation, efficiency is crucial. Older systems may not have the advanced technology and water-saving features found in modern sprinkler systems. Upgrading or updating a current system can save water and lower your utility bills.
- System Compatibility: Most of the time, even older systems can be updated to new technologies by a professional irrigation specialist. But if your current sprinkler system cannot support new water-efficient technology or smart controllers, it might be time to consider a replacement. Learn more about smart sprinkler systems.
- Long-Term Cost Analysis: Most often, it’s less expensive to repair your current system than to invest in a new system. Rarely, the current system has multiple issues that keep occurring over time that cost more than installing a new system. An irrigation specialist can help you determine if it’s best to install a new system.
- Landscaping Changes: Have you made significant changes to your landscaping? If so, your current sprinkler system may no longer meet the requirements of your updated yard. In such cases, investing in a system redesign or replacement can ensure optimal coverage for your new landscape.
- Professional Consultation: When in doubt, reach out to a trusted irrigation specialist. They can perform a thorough evaluation of your system and provide personalized advice based on its condition and your specific needs. Their expertise can help you make a well-informed decision about whether to repair or replace your sprinkler system.
One final thought… your sprinklers’ lifespan often depends on where you live.
In Oklahoma, on average, a well-designed and properly installed sprinkler system can last anywhere from 10 to 20+ years in Oklahoma’s climate. Regular maintenance, timely repairs, and winterization can help extend the lifespan of the system and ensure it continues to operate effectively for many years. Our irrigation specialists have maintained many systems older than 20 years and they are still working great.
So should you replace or repair you sprinkler system? Most of the time repairing the current system is the best solution.
Regular maintenance and prompt repairs can prevent water wastage, keep your landscape lush and healthy, save time and effort, and ultimately lead to cost savings on water bills and potential landscaping expenses.
In the end, the decision to repair or replace your sprinkler system depends on these various factors. An irrigation specialist can assess its current condition, age, efficiency, and compatibility with modern technology can guide you in making the right choice. A well-maintained, efficient, and reliable system is the key to a vibrant and healthy lawn that will be the greenest of the neighborhood.
Are you in Tulsa or the surrounding areas? We’re experts in repairing and redesigning sprinkler systems in Oklahoma, and we know our local environment inside out. Reach out to us, and we’ll help get your sprinkler system back in top shape! Just give us a call or send us a message to get started.